KHFC 2 – 0 Southport – your Man of the Match Vote & Photos

[flickr_highslide set=”KHFC 2 – 0 Southport (27 Aug 2011)”]

Lee Vaughan (vs. Southport 27/08/11)

Harriers continued their lively start to the new 2011/12 season with a hard fought 2-0 victory over Southport this afternoon, placing Harriers 4th in the league table in the process.

Another industrial performance from Lee Vaughan saw him pick up the sponsors Man of the Match vote for the second game running, but was he your pick?  Use the form below to make your selection if you were at the game today!

Need a reminder of the action today?  A selection of match photo’s are available above, whilst a copy of the official KHFC match report is below the form for you.

Voting is now closed for this match.

Match Report taken from the official Harriers website

Match report – Matt Wall

Harriers kept up their fine early-season form with passing a test of real patience at Aggborough on Saturday as late goals saw them pick up all three points against Southport.

Harriers worked the ball tidily and quickly from the off and looked the brighter oft he two sides in what was a quiet opening quarter-hour or so; Luke Medley, handed his first start of the season, broke into the area and fired an effort off the post but it was ultimately in vain after the referee had pulled play back for an earlier offence.
Article continues

On 20 minutes it was Medley again trying to cause problems for a stretched Sangrounders defence; beating his man to enter the area once more before turning and firing an effort just wide of the target.

The first half was a scrappy affair for sure and Medley’s endeavour was one of the highlights; a touch after the half-hour mark he set up Scott Phelan on the edge of the area who saw a shot blocked by the visitors.

With just three minutes to go until the break Harriers forced Matt Nemes into his first real save of the day and it was Medley once more with the effort; an intelligent free-kick played into the path of the front man who took it on before hitting a cross-shot that needed tipping over the bar.

That was the first of three tremendous stops by young Nemes inside just a couple of minutes; next up it was a save of sheer instinct as Phelan’s low cross was fizzed across the face of the area to Marc Williams who turned and swept a ball towards the bottom corner that was somehow tipped around the post.

Next it was midfield James Vincent to try his luck as the pressure started to mount for the first time on a creaky-looking Southport back-line; his rising shot from around 30 yards looked impressive and the save once again matched it, Nemes forcing it over.

The second half was just six minutes old before Nemes was again in action – a double save to deny first Jamille Matt and then Medley as Lee Vaughan wriggled free inside the penalty area.

Up at the other end, a rare chance arrived for the visitors as Chris Lever got his head to Karl Ledsham’s corner, forcing an effort over Danny Lewis’ goal.

Around the hour mark Harriers made a double change with Nick Wright entering the fray and Jack Byrne making his first appearance since April; the latter almost made an instant impact when within seven minutes of his arrival he fired an effort towards goal that drew yet another fine save from Nemes, parrying away to his right.

With a quarter hour to go it was plainly obvious that Southport had come to Aggborough for nothing other than a draw and that anything else on the break was a bonus – they had one useful breakaway as Shaun Whalley strode forward but his low drive was some way wide.

They were made to pay for it, too; just a moment later the final game in the division without a goal finally got one; Vaughan surging into the area and lifting a deft ball towards the near-post that was prodded home by Byrne who wheeled away to revel in the celebrations of a goal on his return.

Like the buses and all that – the lead was doubled within two minutes and all of a sudden the frustration just dissipated from around the ground; the ball lofted up-field and falling delightfully onto the boot of Wright who took it down excellently before slipping in Marc Williams who, one on one, finished smartly around Nemes for his first of the season.