Fans Team Cup triumph and Worldnet results

IFA British Supporters Cup Final
Friday 20th July @ Leeds University
HARRIERS 1 AYR UNITED 1 – Harriers win 3-0 on penalties

The Kidderminster Harriers supporters team made the journey up north at the weekend to take on the Ayr United supporters team in the final of the IFA British Supporters Cup. After losing in last years’ final Harriers were in determined mood against formidable opponents Ayr United who had just clinched the Scottish Supporters League title. Both sides had not had an easy route to the final with Harriers beating Stoke City, Hearts, Hull City and Motherwell to reach the final held at Leeds University.

Manager Dave Pountney had the luxury of picking from a strong 18 man squad that had performed so well on the run to the cup final and also had the honour of wearing Harriers red as KHFC kindly lent the team a kit for the weekend.

Harriers started the better on a difficult pitch with a sizeable crowd, helped by the pitchside bar, cheering on both. Lewis Pountney kept finding space on the left hand side causing Ayr problems. Steve Thomas almost broke through but the goalkeeper saved well. Both sides appeared evenly matched with chances at a premium. Goalkeeper Dave Ackerley made an excellent save at point blank range to keep the scores level.

As half time approached Ayr started to dominate possession but Harriers still looked dangerous with the excellent Ayr goalkeeper pushing a couple of shots over. The ref blew for half time with the game evenly poised.

Harriers started the second half with instructions to get forward more although were concerned that fatigue might play its part. Both sides continued to threaten but it was Ayr who notched the first goal. Harriers defender Andy Morgan was caught the wrong side of the attacker and he brought down the forward. The ref correctly pointed to the spot and the penalty was despatched in style.

Kiddy continued to threaten as Ayr looked to hold onto their slender lead. Perhaps the best chance of the game fell to Dave Greaves who with the goal at his mercy shot wide. However just like the KHFC first team the reds kept going and in the final minute Harriers won yet another corner. Lewis Pountney swung in another ball and the Ayr goalkeeper connected but unfortunately for him it found its way into the Ayr net – cue mass celebrations.

With little time after the restart for much play the referee blew for full time and penalties! Harriers had only competed in one shoot out before when they defeated Arsenal Nigeria so confidence was high. Ayr took the first and substitute goalkeeper Brett Caufield saved! Lewis Pountney stepped up and just about found the net to give the Harriers the lead. With the pressure building the Ayr forward hit his penalty over the bar. Up next for Harriers was captain Andy Morgan who made amends to score the best penalty of the day, 2-0 Harriers! Unbelievably Ayr then missed again when goalkeeper Brett Caufield made another excellent save.

So it was left to man of the match Sean Merryweather to step up and score to give the Harriers a resounding 3-0 win on penalties and clinch their first ever trophy and cue more mass celebrations on and off the field! It was left to manager Dave Pountney to lift the trophy.

Squad : (Top Row LtoR) Sean Merrweather, Steve Thomas, Jamie Willetts, Marc Vaughan, Brett Caufield, Andy Morgan, Chris Lacey, Ollie Sewell, Richard Ward and Dave Goode
(Bottom Row Lto R) Dave Pountney, Richard Hall, Ben Grazier, Dave Ackerley, Nathan Fox,
Lewis Pountney, Mark Young and Dave Greaves.

World Net Tournament
Saturday 21st July

Following lifting the cup on Friday evening six members of the triumphant squad had to return home due to wedding and work commitments. That left a 14 man squad to take part in the two day annual World Net supporters tournament with over 50 fans teams from throughout Britain and as far away as France and Nigeria competing. With all the team out till a reported 4am celebrating not much was expected for the first game with Bury at 9.40am. Harriers had also been drawn in a group with Hull City and Hearts that we previously met in the cup. All games were 11 a side games lasting 30 minutes.

HARRIERS 2 BURY 0 – Group game
Kiddy started the group well despite a few sore heads with Sean Merryweather and Dave Greaves getting the goals in a comfortable victory over our friends from Bury.

To combat boredom and to keep the team out of the bar a friendly was arranged with Livingston. The Scots took a two goal lead before Manager Dave Pountney came off the bench to score a brace.

HARRIERS 0 HULL CITY 1 – Group game
In a physical game Hull got their revenge for losing at Aggborough in the IFA Cup quarter final earlier in the season. Morgan Nock had the best chance for Harriers.

Another friendly game with the team being drawn out of the ‘hat’ resulting in centre half, Ian Danby, playing in goal and the forward line playing in defence. After trailing by three goals and with the help of some ‘guest’ players from Hearts goals from Richard Ward, Steve Bird and Lewis Pountney got a draw.

HARRIERS 3 HEARTS 1 – Group game
In the final game of the day Harriers needed a win to top the group. After a ‘teamtalk’ before the match which the players ignored, Harriers took the lead through Dave Greaves. At half time Manager Pountney brought himself on at centre half and soon had an effect as Hearts scored! However Harriers upped their game and goals from Steve Thomas and Morgan Nock gave Harriers victory and ensured they topped the group.

It was a great day’s football and banter along with a few games of cricket thrown in. On the same pitch were Ipswich Town who had in their side the fastest player we had ever seen, called Nathan, who we cheered on and who also treated the ladies when he removed his top!

Sunday 22st July

Most of the team enjoyed another night celebrating the IFA Cup win resulting in a 5am finish and with just 13 players for the Sunday not much was expected.
We were drawn to play Manchester United or Nathan’s Ipswich Town in the knockout stage at 11am – needless to say who we wanted to meet! Luck was on our side as the Tractor boys were golden goal winners.

HARRIERS 2 IPSWICH TOWN 1 – World Net Knockout
Despite everything Harriers started well and a goal from Steve Thomas gave Kiddy the half time lead. Another from Thomas just after half time seemed to have won it although Simon Jarosinski continued to be troubled by Nathan’s pace and trickery! A goal from Ipswich near the end made for a nervy finish but Harriers held on.

HARRIERS 2 BARNSLEY 1 – World Net Quarter Final
A combination of too much football, sun and alcohol was now really taking its effect and the side just had about enough energy to take the field. However yet again Kiddy kept going and goals from Dave Pountney and Steve Thomas shocked the Yorkshiremen. An excellent free kick just before half time meant for a nervy second half but Harriers held on….. just.

HARRIERS 1 RC LENS 2 – World Net semi final
Not much was expected for the semi final against the previous winners from France whose players appeared fresh and rather athletic. Lens scored after a few minutes from a corner but Harriers with their backs to the wall put in an excellent performance reminiscent of Chelsea’s champions league triumph. Dave Pountney set up Dave Greaves who finished in style to shock Lens just after half time.
In a cruel blow RC Lens scored with just 10 seconds left to put Harriers out of the competition.

Squad : Sean Merryweather, Steve Thomas, Ollie Sewell, Richard Ward, Dave Pountney,
Ben ‘the Shet’ Grazier, Dave Ackerley, Nathan Fox, Steve Bird, Ian Danby, Simon Jarrasinski, Morgan Nock, Lewis Pountney, Glyn Lloyd and Dave Greaves.